Monday, September 14, 2009

Cheesey Crock-Pot Mashed Potatoes

It has been a while since my last update, but here are the mashed potatoes I made for Aaron's surprise birthday party. I made these ahead of time so all I had to do the morning of was put the crock in the cooker and turn it on. You could just make these right before the meal and skip the whole Crock-Pot part if you want.

7 lbs. red or russet potatoes, washed and quartered
8 oz. light cream cheese
16 oz. sour cream
12 oz. shredded cheese (medium or sharp cheddar or Colby Jack)
salt
pepper

Boil potatoes until soft when speared with fork. Drain and mash by hand or with a hand mixer, add cream cheese, sour cream and 8 oz of cheese, stir. Spray stoneware crock with nonstick spray or use a liner, pour in mashed potatoes and put in the fridge overnight. Next day cook the potatoes on high for 3 hours, stirring every hour or so to keep from getting browned on the edges. 10 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the remaining 4 oz. of shredded cheese to the top of the potatoes to melt.

Nutrition Bonus: leave the peels on the potatoes, they are soft so you won't notice them when the potatoes are all mashed up and they have lots of good nutrients!

1 comment:

  1. My new crock-pot cooks so hot even on low. I am very crabby with it. I made a roast and potatoes on low for 6 hours some of the potatoes around the edges were burned tasting. I also made crockpot mac and cheese 3 hours on low it was burned and I even stired it. I am burned out on my crockpot good thing fall is here I won't need to worry about heating up the house with the oven. Going to bake some bread today. Anyway the cheesy potatoes sound good.

    ReplyDelete